Job Title: Sports Inclusion Disability Officer (SIDO) – REF: Fingal 0003
1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Location: Fingal Administrative Area
The Sports Inclusion Disability Officer (SIDO) will work in a coordinating capacity with all relevant stakeholders to increase and sustain participation opportunities for people with disabilities within the county of Fingal.
This role funded by Sport Ireland and is offered on a fixed term contract for 12 months.
This position will require flexibility around working hours with regards to evenings and weekends.
Job Purpose Summary
The SIDO will work to promote and encourage the participation and involvement of people with disabilities to take up roles in sport and physical activity programmes, volunteer, coaching/instructing, committee and advisory roles.
(S)he will work closely other Sports Development Officers, State Agencies and National Governing Bodies of Sport, Schools, Sports Clubs and Agencies to,
1. Promote an inclusive philosophy throughout Fingal with specific focus on encouraging and supporting sport and physical activity providers to commit to the National Sport Inclusion Disability Charter.
2. Create and sustain partnerships with voluntary and public sector partners that support the development and sustainability of sport and physical activity for people with disabilities within Fingal
3. Establish a local disability sport and physical activity network/forum.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Research & Planning
• Assessing the levels of participation of people with disabilities in sport and physical activity, taking account of socio-economic, gender, demographic and other factors.
• Assessing levels of programme and service provision by relevant agencies targeted at encouraging increased quality of and, participation opportunities, for people with disabilities in sport and physical activity.
• To provide regular analysis of the level of participation and development of sport and physical activity for people with disabilities within Fingal.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
• Develop and sustain effective working relationships with the National Governing Bodies of Sport operating within Fingal to increase the range and choice of sport and physical activity opportunities for people with disabilities.
• Provide guidance and support to community based organisations and clubs, to enhance their capacity to facilitate increased participation opportunities for people with disabilities.
• Work with Sports Officers to strategically support the creation of and further enhancement of existing programmes to provide increased opportunities for people with disabilities and to encourage them participate at all levels within sport and physical activity.
• Build positive relationships with all disability services providers within the county to heighten awareness of sport and physical activity opportunities for people with disabilities and support disability services to adopt a culture that promotes active and healthy lifestyles for people with disabilities.
• To provide regular analysis of the level of participation and development of sport and physical activity for people with disabilities within the county.
• Work as part of a national network of Sports Inclusion Disability Officers that will be instrumental to shaping the delivery of sport and physical activity opportunities for people with disabilities across Ireland. This will include national networking/training events, sharing information and support, and working as part of working groups tasked with contributing to the development of national resources/training.
Training & Development
• Identify the training needs across the sport and physical activity sector within the county specific to the participation of people with disabilities in sport and physical activity.
• Develop and sustain a network of voluntary and professional personnel through collaboration with Cara in achieving a coordinated approach to the delivery of inclusive training and education workshops across Fingal.
• Support and promote training opportunities for people with disabilities to understand the benefits of participating in sport and physical activity, enhancing their awareness of participation opportunities that exist, in addition to, promoting and supporting people with a disability becoming coaches, instructors and leaders in sport within the county.
• Enhance the recognition and promotion of quality inclusive practice across the sport and physical activity sector in Fingal.
Specific tasks of the SIDO will be determined locally having regard to the overall job purpose (as set out above) with reference to the National Sports Policy actions and the objectives of Sport Irelands Policy on the Participation in Sport by People with Disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• 2-3 years’ experience working in the sports development / community sector or adapted physical activity, or other relevant discipline
• 1 year experience working in a similar role i.e. working in communities piloting and developing, project management, facilitating and delivering sport and physical activity programmes
• Understanding and experience of working with people with disabilities
• Inter-personal skills to involve people, schools and communities in the planning, delivery and evaluation of programmes and initiatives.
• Experience in programme monitoring, evaluation and reporting
• Excellent communication (oral and written), administration, organisational and presentation skills
• Awareness and understanding of different models of disability
• Awareness of current issues for people with a disability/older adults and the importance and value of their participation in sport/physical activity
• Ability to produce and disseminate information efficiently and accurately
• Fully proficient in Microsoft packages.
• A full clean driving licence and use of personal transport for work is required.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
This position will require flexibility around working hours with regards evenings and weekends.
Please send a cover letter and a detailed CV, referencing Fingal0003, outlining your experience skills and suitability for the position to: email@example.com
For queries relating to the role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4pm, Friday 21st June 2019.
Fingal Community Recreation Services CLG is an Equal Opportunities Employer