Title: Sports Inclusion Development Officer
Salary Scale: Grade 5 administrative scale in line with the local authority grades commencing at €42,777
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. The chosen candidate must be flexible, and willing to work evening and weekends to accommodate the service needs, for which time off in lieu can be taken.
Annual Leave: 22 days annual leave and pro rata where less than full time hours worked.
Travel Expenses: Travelling expenses will be paid where appropriate.
Location: John’s Green House, John’s Green, Kilkenny.
Reports to: Kilkenny Recreation & Sports Partnership Co-ordinator.
Duration: 24 month specified purpose contract subject to satisfactory completion of a 6-month probationary period.
KRSP shall require the person to whom the appointment is offered to take up such appointment in April 2020.
The Sports Inclusion Development Officer (SIDO) will work in a coordinating capacity with all relevant stakeholders to increase and sustain participation opportunities for people with disabilities and groups who experience barriers to inclusion throughout the county.
Specific tasks of the SIDO will be determined locally having regard to the overall job purpose (as set out above) in line with Kilkenny Recreation & Sports Partnership Strategic Plan and with reference to any particular issues, challenges and priorities identified in the sports strategy for the area. The following represents an indicative list from which the SIDO tasks may be drawn depending on the above factors.
Planning & Programme Management
• Implement the goals and objectives of KRSP outlined in the KRSP strategy and actions arising out of these objectives.
• Support and contribute to the preparation of annual operational plans for the delivery of the strategic objectives with specific focus on inclusion.
• Facilitate mid-year and annual reviews of the annual operational plan reporting on the effectiveness and impact of work areas.
• Participate in the design, organisation and implementation of KRSP projects/events including any of Sport Ireland’s National Programmes as required ensuring inclusion for all
• Adhere to KRSP financial policies concerning procurement of goods and services, budget planning, budget management and reporting while ensuring compliance requirements of funding agency (ies).
• Contribute to ensuring that all programmes and courses operate on a user-friendly professional basis.
• Work with KRSP current and potential partners and stakeholders including local community groups and organisations, sports clubs, NGBs, partner agencies to develop and strengthen relationships and encourage cooperation and collaboration
• Carry out research and needs analysis as appropriate.
• Measure and monitor performance indicators based on the impact, which courses/programmes are having at local level.
• Administration of programmes and events including maintaining up-to-date databases.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
• Assess via a county audit, the levels of participation of people with disabilities and marginalised groups in sports and physical activity, taking account of socio-economic, gender, demographic and other factors.
• Assess levels of programmes and service provision by relevant agencies targeted at encouraging increased quality of participation opportunities for people with disabilities and marginalised groups in sports and physical activity.
• Measure and monitor performance indicators based on impact, which courses/programmes are having at local level such as uptake on sporting opportunities, additional membership in clubs etc.
• Promote the participation of people with disabilities and marginalised groups on sports and physical activities
• Promote awareness of issues around inclusion and the importance of physical activity for people with disabilities and marginalised groups.
• Responsibility for the development, co-ordination and delivery of a comprehensive range of KRSP inclusion programmes with a view to creating sustainable participation.
• Encourage and foster opportunities for programme development and new initiatives with key stakeholders and partner agencies
• Organise and facilitate training and development opportunities including research, administration, planning, organisation and delivery of relevant courses, workshops and seminars with a view to sustainable development of activities, volunteers, clubs etc.
• Administration and attendance at courses that contracted out, maintaining the standards and representing KRSP.
• Manage the purchase, storage and shared use of equipment including loan or lease agreements.
• Reports and regular updates to the Co-ordinator, KRSP Board and funders as required.
• Undertake any other relevant and related duties that may be required by KRSP.
Marketing & PR
• Assist with the preparation of a marketing plan including the preparation of press releases, articles and radio promotions.
• Collate material for inclusion in promotional materials such as KRSP newsletter and on website, funder updates including the maintenance of relevant sections on website and social media.
• Identify and secure, in consultation with the co-ordinator, opportunities that present in the area of PR and marketing for KRSP.
Health & Safety Management
• Contribute to ensuring that all facilities the company use are fully compliant with current health & safety standards.
• Assist in the investigation of all accidents/incidents.
• Communicate all results/recommendations arising from investigations of accidents/incidents.
• Ensure that all activities undertaken as an officer of KRSP are in line with codes of practice and legislation.
Shortlisting of candidates may apply based on the information supplied at application. Canvassing will disqualify. Those shortlisted will be invited to attend for interview to be held in March 2020 in Kilkenny.
Sports Development Officer
Qualifications • Relevant Degree in Sports Development, Leisure Management, Health Fitness & Leisure Studies, Adapted Physical Activity or equivalent qualification • Disability Sports qualifications
• Tutor Qualifications such as Safeguarding, Active Leadership
• Coaching Qualifications / experience
Experience • Three year relevant experience in Sports Development / Health / Fitness
• Experience of working with people with disabilities
• Experience of working with marginalised groups
• Experience of project management and of piloting, developing and delivering sustainable physical activity based initiatives
• Experience of the community and voluntary sector and the sports and recreation environment and of motivating those sectors with lower participation characteristics to become involved • Experience of supporting student placements or internships
• Experience in the areas of education, social or community development or working in the community sector in a developmental and supportive capacity either in a paid or voluntary capacity
• Experience in sports administration and/or organising training events
• Good understanding of programme monitoring and evaluation
• Experience of working in a project team
Skills and Competencies • Strong IT, administrative and organisational skills
• Ability to consult, communicate and network appropriately and effectively with all sectors of the community
• Ability to monitor and evaluate work and write reports
• Ability to produce and access information efficiently and accurately
• Excellent communications, presentation and facilitation skills
• Ability to advise, inform, motivate and support individuals and organisations
• Ability to prepare, monitor and manage budgets and to prepare funding applications
• Ability to produce good quality publicity material • Understanding of research methods
• Understanding of the public sector and local government environment
• Good time management skills
Attitude and Motivation • Awareness of the importance and value of participation in sport / active recreation for people with disabilities
• A constructive, positive and progressive attitude to working as part of the Kilkenny Recreation & Sports Partnership team and an ability to develop partnerships with the wider community
• Be motivated and committed to sports development and increasing opportunities for participation, in particular among hard to reach groups in local communities
• A commitment to on-going training and development.
• A self-motivated approach to work • An awareness of the role and importance of both co-ordinated and inter-agency responses to local sporting needs
Other requirements • Completion the Garda Vetting process satisfactory to the Sports Partnership’s requirements.
• A full clean driving licence and use of personal transport for work is required.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
• Ability and commitment to work unsociable hours
Please submit 4 copies each of your statement of suitability and CV by 3pm Friday 6th March 2020:
Ref: SIDO 2, Nicola Keeshan, Sports Co-ordinator,
KRSP, Johns Green House, Johns Green, Kilkenny.
Interviews will take place in Kilkenny City in March 2020. Informal enquires to Nicola Keeshan up to 28th February 2020 at 056 7794993
Funding for the position of Acting SIDO has been secured through Sport Ireland and Kilkenny County Council.