Title: Sports Development Officer
Salary Scale: Grade 4 administrative scale in line with the local authority grades commencing at €28,189
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. The chosen candidate must be flexible, and willing to work evening and weekends to accommodate the service needs, for which time off in lieu can be taken.
Annual Leave: 22 days annual leave and pro rata where less than full time hours worked.
Travel Expenses: Travelling expenses will be paid where appropriate.
Location: John’s Green House, John’s Green, Kilkenny.
Reports to: Kilkenny Recreation & Sports Partnership Co-ordinator.
Duration: 12 month fixed term contract subject to satisfactory completion of a 6-month probationary period
The Sports Development Officer will foster and encourage a culture of active participation, supporting opportunities for and access to sport and physical activity in local communities. The SDO will address barriers to participation, encourage access, address health inequalities and increase opportunities for participation by those who experience disadvantage for any reason.
There will be two aspects to the role:
1. For three days a week, the SDO will facilitate and support the development of initiatives for the Healthy Ireland funded Healthy Inclusive Communities, which will develop and expand the range of opportunities for the people to participate in sporting and physical activity. The SDO will work closely with sports clubs, community based organisations and National Governing Bodies of Sport to promote quality experiences for participation and to support their work locally. While the SDO will work with all KRSP target groups there will be a particular focus on Castlecomer, Urlingford, Callan and specific areas within Kilkenny City.
2. For two days a week, the SDO will work to support the development of the Dormant Account funded Community Sports Hub and Urban Outdoor Adventure Sport initiatives. The SDO will work with the Community Sports Hub Steering Group and the relevant organisations and individuals to continue to develop, co-ordinate and implement a comprehensive plan to develop and promote the sustainable usage of the Sports Hubs. The SDO will work closely with the Kilkenny County Council, local sports clubs, NGBs and community based organisations to promote the new amenities as a venue for sustainable community sport and physical activity participation. The SDO will facilitate and support the delivery of education and training opportunities and participation initiatives for urban outdoor adventure in Kilkenny. This initiative is targeting people with a disability in Kilkenny, young people with an educational disadvantage in Kilkenny and those at risk of early school leaving. The SDO will work with sports clubs, community based organisations, National Governing Bodies of Sport and schools to further develop this programme by packaging and promotion of the schools programme and expanding the inclusion element of the programme to include more activities and supporting the capacity building of adventure sports providers in catering for inclusion.
Planning & Programme Management
• Assist with the implementation of the goals and objectives outlined in the KRSP strategy, National Sports Action Plan, National Physical Activity Plan, Local Economic Community Plan and actions arising out of these objectives.
• Support and contribute to the preparation of annual operational plans for the delivery of the strategic objectives.
• Facilitate quarterly and annual reviews of the annual operational plan reporting on the effectiveness and impact of work areas.
• Participate in the design, organisation and implementation of KRSP projects/events including any of Sport Ireland’s National Programmes as required
• Develop and implement programmes and initiatives to increase participation of targeted low participation groups with a focus on disadvantaged areas
• Adhere to KRSP financial policies concerning procurement of goods and services, budget planning and reporting while ensuring compliance requirements of funding agency (ies).
• Contribute to ensuring that all programmes and courses operate on a user-friendly professional basis.
• Work with KRSP current and potential partners and stakeholders including local community groups and organisations, sports clubs, NGBs, partner agencies to develop and strengthen relationships.
• Carry out research and needs analysis as appropriate.
• Measure and monitor performance indicators based on the impact, which courses/programmes are having at local level.
• Administrate programmes and events including maintaining up-to-date databases.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
• Responsibility for the delivery of the Healthy Inclusive Communities, Community Sports Hub and Urban Outdoor Adventure programmes within KRSP
• Consult and work with the KRSP team, Steering Committees, partner agencies and local communities to identify the need and demand for new activities
• Develop and support the implementation of a comprehensive range of physical activity programmes and events for relevant target groups with a view to creating sustainable participation.
• Encourage and foster opportunities for programme development and new initiatives with key stakeholders and partner agencies
• Organise and facilitate training and development opportunities including research, administration, planning, organisation and delivery of relevant courses, workshops and seminars with a view to sustainable development of activities, volunteers, clubs etc.
• Administration and attendance at courses that contracted out, maintaining the standards and representing KRSP.
• Manage the purchase, storage and shared use of equipment including loan agreements or leases.
• Reports and regular updates to the Co-ordinator, KRSP Board, Local Community Development Committee, Healthy Ireland and Sport Ireland as required.
• Undertake any other relevant and related duties that may be required by KRSP.
Marketing & PR
• Assist with the preparation of a marketing plan including the preparation of press releases, articles and radio promotions.
• Collate material for inclusion in partner agency promotional materials such as KRSP newsletter and on website, funding agency updates.
• Identify and secure, in consultation with the co-ordinator, opportunities that present in the area of PR and marketing for KRSP.
Health & Safety Management
• Contribute to ensuring that all facilities the company use are fully compliant with current health & safety standards.
• Assist in the investigation of all accidents/incidents.
• Communicate all results/recommendations arising from investigations of accidents/incidents.
• Ensure that all activities undertaken as an officer of KRSP are in line with codes of practice and legislation.
Shortlisting of candidates may apply based on the information supplied at application. Canvassing will disqualify. Those shortlisted will be invited to attend for interview to be held in March 2020 in Kilkenny city.