Job title: Sport and Physical Activity Hub Officer (SPAHO) – REF: Fingal 0001
1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Location: Fingal Administrative Area
The Sport and Physical Activity Hub Officer (SPAHO) will be employed by Fingal Community Recreation Services CLG and will be based in the administrative area of Fingal.
This role funded by Dormant Accounts through Sport Ireland and is offered on a fixed term contract for 12 months.
This position will require flexibility around working hours with regards to evenings and weekends.
Job Purpose Summary
The Sport and Physical Activity Hub Officer (SPAHO) will work with the Sports and Physical Activity Hub Co-ordinator to foster and encourage a culture of active participation, supporting opportunities for and access to sport and physical activity primarily in Tyrrelstown / Mulhuddart and Balbriggan, this area may be extended if / when deemed necessary. Prioritising target groups the SPAHO will work to address barriers to participation and encourage access and increase opportunities for participation by those who experience disadvantage for any reason.
(S)he will work closely with Sports and Physical Activity Hub Co-ordinator, local development groups, sports clubs, community based organisations and National Governing Bodies (NGBs) of Sport and agencies to:
1. Support the development of exciting and dynamic opportunities to increase participation for people who are sedentary
2. Capacity build smaller National Governing Bodies (NGBs) that do not currently have development officers and, other stakeholders, to deliver services to increase participation
3. Develop sustainable local leadership for sport within the areas identified.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Consult and work with local communities to identify the need and demand for new activities;
• Provide guidance and support to develop sustainable community sports clubs;
• Establish a sports forum that will enable clubs to work together;
• Tackle local barriers to participation through targeted programmes and initiatives;
• Support and maintain strong links between schools and community sports clubs.
• Develop action plans in line with the needs of the community.
• Implement a monitoring and evaluation framework for all projects.
• Completing reports as required
Specific Areas of Responsibility
• Promote the formation of Sports Fora and hold regular meetings (with a view to creating sustainable groups);
• Work with Blanchardstown Youth Service to form a Youth Sports Forum;
• Carry out a needs analysis of sports and community activities and develop a strategic plan;
• Form relationships with traditional and non-traditional sport National Governing Bodies to seek support and roll out (extended range of) programmes;
• Development and roll out of a number of programmes, with a focus on integration of young people including try a sports days, formal / informal sports and activities;
• Development and delivery of activities for the entire community with emphasis on non-Irish community (e.g. walking, cycling, table tennis, walking football);
• Promotion and coordination of training courses and coach education for volunteers and coaches;
• Coordinate a timetable of activities and identify agencies and or volunteers to assist / deliver;
• Develop and support School Club links;
• Undertake any other relevant and related duties that may be required by Fingal Sports Office.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• 2-3 years’ experience working in the sports development / community sector;
• An understanding of the community and voluntary sector and sports and recreation environment;
• Demonstrable ability to motivate and tackle local barriers to participation through targeted programmes and initiatives;
• A successful track record in building and nurturing stakeholders, key relationships and partnerships with all sectors of the community;
• Relevant Qualification in Sports Development, Leisure Management, Health & Fitness & Leisure Studies or equivalent.
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
• Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills;
• Self-motivated and action oriented, with the ability to work on own initiative;
• Demonstrated ability to plan, organise and prioritise;
• Commitment to the highest standards and outcomes;
• Flexible approach to duties and work;
• Fully proficient in Microsoft packages.
• A full clean driving license and use of personal transport for work is required.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
This position will require flexibility around working hours with regards evenings and weekends.
Please send a cover letter and a detailed CV, referencing Fingal0001, outlining your experience skills and suitability for the position to: email@example.com
For queries relating to the role please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4pm, Friday 21st June 2019.
Fingal Community Recreation Services CLG is an Equal Opportunities Employer