The Paralympic Movement and Paralympics Ireland is on a very positive trajectory in terms of the recognition of the Paralympic Games within sport in general, and the recognition of the elite, high performance athletes and teams involved.
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated, driven individual to play a key role in a dynamic team, within a multi-sport environment, to use their skills to support elite athletes with a disability, in the lead up to the Paralympic Games in Tokyo 2020 and beyond.
The role involves delivery of the following three key areas of Paralympic Ireland’s Strategy: –
• Performance Support (Quadrennial & Performance Plans)
• Management and Coordination of Paralympics Ireland Sports Science & Medicine (SS&M) Service Provision
• Operations and logistics delivery for Team Ireland at the Paralympic Games, including management of preparation and holding camps
The position involves working as a key member of the Paralympics Ireland (PI) Sport Department under the direction of the PD.
They will also be a key member of the PI Tokyo Paralympic Games, HQ Team, under the direction of the Chef de Mission.
SPECIFIC KEY TASKS
1. As Performance Operations Manager you will be responsible for assisting with the implementation of all areas of the Tokyo Quadrennial Plan leading into the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games and beyond, including the 2019 and 2020 PI Performance Plans.
2. You will be heavily involved in the development of the Paris 2024 Quadrennial & future Performance Plans.
3. Support the Heads of Sports to ensure all athlete progress is regularly monitored and measured through formal reports which are transparent and understood by all staff and athlete team members.
4. Keep abreast of and review developments in systems which can be utilised to standardise world class working procedures across the staff team.
5. Support the PD with the development of Paralympic pipelines.
6. Link with the Development Programme pathway and new sports to guide then towards focusing on the right areas for high performance success
Management and Coordination of PI Sports Science & Medicine (SS&M) Service Provision
7. The Performance Ops Manager will support the PD in the management of our various service providers and how they impact into the Paralympics Ireland High Performance Program.
8. Manage implementation of Service Providers Contracts, ensuring all SS&M support staff maintain relevant professional qualifications and adhere to their professions code of practice.
9. Coordinate and monitor SS&M delivery to ensure support team provides the best possible service for PI sports and athletes in line with PI’s strategy whilst providing value for money and is task focused rather than relationship focused.
10. Support sports to ensure athlete monitoring system software is being used – primarily related to training recovery balance and other prominent physiological components.
11. Ensure sports science MDT (Multi-Disciplinary Team) meetings are planned, objective driven and administered effectively and efficiently.
12. Ensure the SS&M support team understand and live the mission, vision and culture within the Paralympics Ireland Strategic plan. Promote a culture of understanding and respect between SS&M support team and sport specific coaches and help the SS&M support team to develop effective professional relationships between each other.
Paralympic Games Delivery
13. Administration and support to the Chef de Mission (CDM) leading up to and at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games
14. Organise and manage the training camp programme and Holding Camps in advance of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games
15. Manage the logistical operations of Team Ireland in particular the key areas of freight, kit & travel. This includes the collection of data and information from sports and athletes in relation to Paralympic Games.
16. Undertake other duties as required from time to time by the PD, CDM or CEO.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – Performance Operations Manager
Third Level qualification- preferably in a Sports Performance related area or discipline. *
5 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) experience of delivery of Performance Support in elite sport. *
Experience of operational and logistics support. *
Demonstrable stakeholder management experience *
Administrative experience including proficiency in MS Office suite*
A clean current full driving licence and access to a form of transport to meet the requirements of the post in full.
A flexible approach to hours required including the ability to attend evening and weekend meetings and to undertake travel abroad
Experience of providing clear, timely and accurate updates to senior management.
Understanding of sports structures in Ireland, including Paralympic sport.
Ability to be adaptable and to perform in a pressurised setting.
Ability to work on one’s own and also to work as part of a team.
Proven ability to motivate people and make decisions.
Note to all applicants:
*Only those applicants who clearly demonstrate, by example, how they meet the essential criteria will go forward to the next stage in the recruitment and selection process.
Desirable criteria may be used for shortlisting purposes if required.
All other essential and desirable criteria will be assessed by selection test and/or interview.
NB. This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and can be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
Suitable candidates should apply in writing with a letter and current CV to Colin@paralympics.ie
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 25th June, 2019
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place during the first week in July
Queries may be directed to Colin Armstrong at Paralympics Ireland by email at Colin@paralympics.ie or by calling 01 625 1175.
Paralympics Ireland is an equal opportunities employer and all applications will be treated in strict confidence.