Lead Performance Nutritionist, Connacht Rugby, based in The Sportsground, Galway
ROLE AND PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Manage the performance nutrition service delivery and ensure alignment between Sub-Academy, Academy and Senior nutrition programmes.
Develop and deliver nutrition support services to Connacht Rugby Senior squad, working as part of a High Performance multidisciplinary team to integrate nutrition into players’ programmes to optimise health and maximise performance.
Operational: Head of Rugby Operations, Connacht Rugby
Head Coach, Connacht Rugby
Functional: IRFU Head of Nutrition
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES (in conjunction with the IRFU Head of Nutrition)
Academy Performance Nutritionist, Connacht Rugby
- IRFU Head of Nutrition
- Head of Athletic Performance, Connacht Rugby
- Lead Doctor, Connacht Rugby
- Lead Physiotherapy staff, Connacht Rugby
- Coaching staff, Connacht Rugby
- Operations staff, Connacht Rugby
- Commercial Department, Connacht Rugby
- An undergraduate degree in nutrition or dietetics with a recognised post-graduate qualification in a Sport and Exercise related subject (eg sports nutrition, exercise physiology, sports science) OR an undergraduate degree in a Sport and Exercise related subject with a recognised post-graduate qualification in nutrition or sports nutrition.
- A minimum of 3 years’ post graduate experience in the provision of nutritional support to athletes and coaches in an elite sporting environment.
- ISAK Level 1 (or above) accreditation.
- Demonstrated experience in all areas of planning, implementation, modification and monitoring of specific nutrition programmes to support high performance.
- Detailed understanding of the nutritional issues (clinical and performance) relevant to high performance sport.
- Thorough understanding of the various sports science and sports medicine disciplines.
- A verifiable record of working within a multidisciplinary team in the delivery of performance nutrition support in elite sport.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills that can motivate behavioural change.
- Good IT (including dietary analysis), problem-solving and organisational skills that include record keeping.
- Full driving licence and access to a car.
- Practitioner registration with the Sport and Exercise Nutrition Register UK (SENr)
- Experience of working with elite rugby players or other collision sports
- Experience in academic and/or applied research in the field of performance nutrition
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Management
- Promote an environment and culture within Connacht Rugby that supports nutrition as an integral component of high performance.
- Manage and develop nutrition programmes across Senior, Academy and Sub-Academy programmes and deliver best practice service through direct work with Senior squad players.
- Provide professional leadership and mentorship to the Academy Performance Nutritionist at Connacht Rugby.
- Be professionally responsible for own practice and the oversight of all aspects of service delivery in Connacht Rugby.
- Lead the multidisciplinary team on integrated well-being projects with significance to nutrition eg sleep.
- Adhere to IRFU policies in relation to best practice and ethical behaviour.
- Maximise the performance impact of performance nutrition across Senior, Academy and Sub-Academy programmes by working closely with the Athletic Performance, Medical and Coaching staff in Connacht Rugby to maximise the effectiveness of players’ training and competitive programmes through appropriate nutrition strategies.
- Adopt a ‘food-first’ approach when delivering nutrition education to all players and coaches.
- Implement strategies to support players’ training and competitive programmes whilst demonstrating a comprehensive knowledge of the science that supports sports nutrition e.g. nutrition to support strength development, recovery, hydration, supplementation, use of ergogenic aids, recovery from surgery etc.
- Liaise with hotels and catering staff at away venues and the catering team at home venues to ensure appropriate nutrition is provided for players.
- Implement, manage and monitor a sports supplement programme across Senior, Academy and Sub-Academy programmes that adheres to the IRFU Policy on Sports Food and Supplement use in conjunction with Connacht supplement partners.
- Implement best practice for food hygiene and undertake food safety training if certification is not already held.
- Contribute to Connacht Rugby’s Health and Well-being education programme.
- Be responsible for maintaining relationships with existing nutrition partners and identifying potential new partners in conjunction with the commercial department.
- Meet regularly with the IRFU Head of Nutrition on all aspects of nutrition service development and participate in developing nutrition service delivery, including attendance at review meetings.
- Build and maintain relationships with all listed in ‘Working Relationships’ on all matters that impact on nutrition service provision in Connacht Rugby.
Documentation and Reporting
- Maintain records of all nutrition interventions and supplement issue and track measurable outcomes
- Provide or present reports on nutrition service developments to Senior Management Team in Connacht Rugby as requested.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD), Education and Audit
- Engage in continuing professional development (CPD) relevant to sports nutrition (including participation in IRFU in-service meetings) and be willing to participate in research if the opportunity arises.
- Carry out audits of service delivery to support improvements and change in service delivery where necessary.
The successful candidate will be expected to work appropriate hours in order to fully carry out their responsibilities. The nature of the work is such that these hours may be irregular or outside the norm i.e., during evenings and at week-ends (including Sundays). This is a fixed term two-year contract.
The closing date for applications is Monday, June 24th at 5pm. Interested candidates should upload a resume and a cover letter to our Jobs Portal on Connacht Rugby’s Website – https://www.connachtrugby.ie/jobs/