About Cycling Ireland
Cycling Ireland (CI) is the national governing body for Cycling in Ireland. The organisation’s primary role is to promote the sport and activity of cycling across five key strategic pillars;
- Sport development
- High performance
- Leisure and lifestyle
CI is an organisation of over 26,000 members representing almost 400 clubs across the 32 counties on the island of Ireland. Cycling has exploded in popularity in the past ten years, and CI has converted that groundswell into year-on-year growth in membership numbers, up from 5,000 ten years ago. 2018 saw the first dip in those numbers by approx 10%. The next five years represent an exciting time for cycling in Ireland; we have government approval and budget for a first indoor velodrome, we move our HQ to the exciting hub at the National Sports Campus, we are well poised to make significant gains in membership numbers, we have impressive participation at every level and in every discipline including the highest percentage of female membership of any sport in the country, our High Performance team is punching far above its weight, and the domestic scene is thriving.
However, we also face some challenges, including competition from other sports, and recruitment of younger members due to many factors including road safety concerns. These all represent commercial challenges. Notwithstanding these challenges, the Board of Cycling Ireland feels that the organisation is exceptionally well placed, and as we move towards the development of a new 5-year Strategy, the opportunity to build on the progress of the past ten years is truly exciting.
Part of that ambition lies in the recruitment of a new CEO. After ten years, Geoff Liffey leaves the organisation at the end of 2018 with a strong membership base and a healthy financial reserve.
The Board is seeking applications for a new CEO to lead the planning of the future development of the sport and has set out specific goals and targets to be incorporated into the role and which will form part of a new 5-year Strategy from 2019 – 2023. The new CEO will have a key role in driving this activity under the guidance of the Board. The successful applicant will face an exciting time in the sport in a role which provides a very challenging and rewarding opportunity.
As Chief Executive Officer, you will lead the organisation and be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day management of the organisation. You will be accountable to the Board as you drive the organisation forward by delivering the Goals of the Strategic Plan while providing the leadership necessary to meet Cycling Ireland’s future development needs. As CEO, you will be expected to understand all stakeholders’ needs, particularly members and the club network, as well as athletes and coaches. You will have the ability to manage a complex portfolio of organisational responsibilities including commercial and strategic priorities, operational effectiveness, stakeholder management, communications and financial/governance controls. You will also have a sound knowledge of a High-Performance environment. To be considered for this role you will need to be a strong leader, with excellent stakeholder management capabilities. You will have a great understanding and appreciation of the integration of volunteerism with executive delivery. You should have excellent skills in management prioritisation and specifically be experienced in delivering strategic plan goals. Knowledge of the international sporting landscape is highly desirable.
Commercial, Marketing and Communications
- Membership: develop initiatives to;
- Engage and retain existing membership base
- Recruit new members
- Identify and implement key initiatives to build the Cycling Ireland brand to attract greater sponsorship interest
- Manage commercial partner and sponsor relations to maximise revenue certainty by building long term partnerships
- Identify new programmes and other opportunities to grow the revenue base
- Ensure that marketing and communications activities are structured to strengthen the reputation of Cycling Ireland and that of the sport
- Assume the role of primary spokesperson for Cycling Ireland in tandem with the organisation’s President
Leadership / Strategic Planning
- Demonstrate motivational skills to the Cycling Ireland management, staff and volunteer network across all activities
- Represent Cycling Ireland and the cycling community in a responsible manner in line with the organisation’s values
- Maintain and develop best practice management and governance protocols
- Work proactively and respectfully with all the organisation’s key stakeholders to deliver the goals of the Strategic Plan
- Lead the development of the new Strategic Plan 2019-2022 and deliver on the goals outlined within.
- Create an environment where excellent relationships with all stakeholders – including Sport Ireland, commercial partners, athletes, coaches, provinces and clubs – can help deliver positively for the sport
- Ensure an inclusive environment with consultation and dialogue at its core is a key priority for the organisation
- Actively engage with the cycling community in creating an open dialogue on matters of significance
- Manage the financial dealings of the organisation in a prudent manner in line with Board oversight
- Ensure Cycling Ireland uses best practice in all governance matters and in full compliance with statutory frameworks with full Board engagement
- Continue to actively drive revenue streams outside of statutory funding vehicles
- Ensure all Cycling Ireland risk management systems and policies are appropriate, current and applied
- Ensure the successful ongoing operation and resourcing of Board Committees and wider Commissions in line with Board policies
The key deliverables of the CEO are reflected in Cycling Ireland’s Strategic Plan priorities. These include to:
- Make Marketing a key focus throughout the organisation and grow sponsorship
- Continue to grow membership through our existing club network and recruitment via other forms of Cycling Ireland membership.
- Drive wider participation by promoting cycling as a healthy and inclusive lifestyle choice
- Ensure that competitions are athlete focused with an enhanced customer experience
- Support our elite athletes by continuing to develop structures so that we can field world class athletes with a sustainable performance coaching structure, facilities and support staff
- Promote all cycling disciplines and ensure the support and structures are in place to do so
- Grow participation and revenue from leisure membership and events through a focus on existing and new programmes and the creation of initiatives.
- Maintain and enhance our child safeguarding processes
- Manage governance and finances to best demonstrated practices and to train our staff to acquire expertise in every area to become best in class
Cycling Ireland would like candidates to have a strong business acumen with a marketing perspective as part of a range of skills, experience and traits which will aid them in the role, including:
- Experience building an organisational brand and commercial attractiveness and value
- Strategic experience in a similar field
- Visionary thinking which will facilitate an openness to change and the drive and tenacity to make it happen
- Great people person to relate to the wide variety of cycling enthusiasts
- Strong but inclusive management style
- Collaborative capability to deliver the maximum for the sport from relationships
- Marketeer instincts with good brand awareness
- Passion for cycling/sport, its clubs, athletes, coaches and activities
Please send your CV and cover letter to our recruitment partner Ascension Executive Recruitment – Mairead.email@example.com
Any applications sent directly to Cycling Ireland will be forwarded to Ascension.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00pm on 18th January 2019