Assistant Head of Delegation.
The Colleges and Universities Sports Association of Ireland (CUSAI) seek to appoint an Assistant Head of Delegation to the Irish team that will attend the 2013 World University Games (Summer Universiade) in Kazan, Russia from the 6th – 17th July, 2013.
- 1. General Brief:
CUSAI seeks a highly professional, qualified and experienced person to undertake the role of Assistant Head of Delegation in respect of the 2013 WUGs.
The Assistant Coach will be expected, and required, to support the Head of Delegation in undertaking and delivering, but not limited to, the duties outlined below. In addition the Assistant Head of Delegation (AHoD) will also be required to take full responsibility for the implementation of specific actions as identified by the Head of Delegation (HoD).
The successful candidate will support the HoD in:
- Preparing the Irish delegation (‘Team Ireland’) for the 27th World University Games (‘WUG’) in Kazan, Russia (6th – 13th July 2013);
- Engendering and fostering an environment of excellence within the Team Ireland delegation both during and in the lead up to the WUGs, including planning and administration activities which enhances the opportunity for Team Ireland athletes to excel;
- Creating a vibrant, athlete‐focused culture;
- Being a confident, committed leader operating in an intense environment both in the lead up to and during the WUGs;
- Taking responsibility for the conduct of Team Ireland during the Games.
- 2. Reporting to: Head of Delegation.
- 3. Job Description (but not limited to):
Pre Games: The successful candidate will support the HoD in the undertaking of the following duties. In some instances the AHoD may be delegated by the HOD to take full responsibility for the undertaking of specific duties.
- Assist in coordinating the planning process during the lead up to the WUGs including:
- The production of relevant timelines and work plans;
- The appointment of support team including Medical, Administrative and PR team;
- Liaising with Russian Embassy representatives in relation to all visa requirements for delegation members;
- The development of a logistics and travel plan;
- The coordinating the sourcing and ordering of leisurewear and competition clothing;
- The implementation of a WUG’s communication strategy;
- Adhering to the 2013 WUGs budget and addressing funding issues in liaison with the CUSIA office, NGB, Irish Sports Council, Institute of Sport, and Sport Northern Ireland;
- Where required liaise with NGB high performance managers (or equivalent personnel) regarding selection criteria, funding, athlete selections and the appointment of officials;
- Maintain effective communications channels with athletes, officials, NGBs and the CUSAI Office;
- Ensure that all members of the delegation carry out their duties and responsibilities as prescribed;
- Act as a spokesperson for Team Ireland, both prior to and during the Games;
- Enforce CUSAI policy: this includes having a role in handling any positive doping violation during the Games;
On Site: Duties may include:
- Adhering to proper protocol with dignitaries, presenting gifts on behalf of the Team Ireland;
- Attending daily Chef’s meetings called by the Host Organizing Committee;
- Overseeing the accrediting of Team Ireland delegation members;
- Chairing of daily team meetings with medical, administrative and PR staff as required;
- Assisting in the administration of disciplinary cases;
- Coordinating participation in the flag raising ceremonies;
- Support the HoD in team building and morale raising exercises and
- Assist media personnel with the gathering of results of Team Ireland athletes.
- 3. Person Specification:
Ideally the appointee:
- Is experienced in the management of national sporting teams and capable of discharging the duties of the Assistant Head of Delegation;
- Understands management principles and their application to managing a national sporting team;
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the issues relating to managing a International multi‐sports team;
- Has demonstrated the capacity to plan and implement activities, to co‐ordinate people and resources, and to maintain appropriate monitoring and controls;
- Has the interpersonal and management skills to successfully motivate and direct others;
- Works effectively with all people and shows initiative in making decisions and taking action;
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills:
- Competent in dealing with high‐ranking representatives and officials, fellow sports officials, diplomatic officers and business leaders;
- Maintains personal control and quality standards when faced with long hours of work and changing demands:
- Shows enthusiasm and preparedness to put athlete performance before other considerations;
- Available to travel to the 2013 WUG in Kazan and attend all Team Ireland WUG meetings in Dublin;
- Demonstrates a good general working knowledge of sport, FISU rules and procedures, in order to support the individual sports athletes and officials through their respective administrative and technical requirements at the WUG’s;
- Understands the various roles and support needs of performance managers, coaches and athletes in order to perform at their best in competition;
- It is desired (but not essential) that the successful candidate has experience of, and has previously engaged, with CUSAI and/ or the tertiary sports sector.
- 4. Remuneration:
This is an honorary position – no salary or honorarium will be paid to the postholder.
- 5. Tenure of Post.
The appointment will be for an initial term of one World University Summer Games (Kazan 2013) and will conclude at the end of the 2013 World University Games.
- 6. Application Process.
Nominations for the position of Assistant Head of Delegation are now sought.
Please complete a nomination form accompanied with a covering letter and forward to the CUSAI Office in confidence at Sport HQ, 13 Joyce Way, Parkwest, Dublin 12 or via email address to email@example.com.
The form must be countersigned by a representative of one of the following organisations:
- CUSAI Member Institutions;
- National Governing Body for Sport (ROI / NI) ;
- Irish Student Sport Governing Body
The deadline for receipt of applications is 12 noon Friday, 16th March, 2012.