Cricket Ireland is the governing body for the game at both performance and participation levels throughout all-Ireland, representing the interests of both the men’s and women’s game. The future of Irish Cricket is incredibly bright following the awarding of ICC Full Membership and Test status to Cricket Ireland in 2017.
The Ireland Men’s team will compete in a World Cup Super League from 2020 to 2022; potentially a T20 World Cup 2020 in Australia; and a programme of Test cricket, whilst our Women’s team will play in a World Cup Qualifier 2020 in Sri Lanka, and hopefully gain access to the ICC Women’s Championship 2021-2023.
Underpinning both these teams is our First-Class men’s Inter-Provincial & Women’s Super 3’s structures; our Talent Pathway Programme and International Youth teams from under 15 to 19 both boys and girls; and a men’s and women’s National Academy Programme, some of which this role supports the delivery of.
Cricket Ireland is seeking a full-time permanent Strength and Conditioning Coach, in order to support these environments and help develop the players into leading international cricketers.
The position is based in North Dublin, but the nature of the role will work mainly from the Sport Ireland Institute in Abbottstown and Dublin City University Sport. It will at times demand a national brief across both sides of the border as well as time travelling overseas when deemed appropriate by the National Lead S&C Coach.
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the European Economic Area (EEA) and, if not currently in possession of one, will need to apply for an appropriate employment permit, which can take up to 3 months.
The successful candidate will deliver high quality physical preparation to the Ireland Women’s Performance squad and Men’s and Women’s pathway programmes, whilst working closely with other science and medicine national leads and disciplines. The programme includes supporting the Women’s high performance programme as well as the men’s and women’s Academy.
REPORTING and MANAGEMENT
The successful candidate will be line-managed by the Performance Services Manager/National Lead Strength and Conditioning Coach, though the nature of the role will also report into the Head of Physiotherapy and Medical services.
- Minimise the impact of injury and illness and increase availability and performance.
- Ensuring that players reach their optimal physical conditioning and maintaining that level throughout the year.
- Conducting and facilitating CPD opportunities for science and medicine staff.
- Developing and maintaining key working relationship with science and medicine discipline partners to ensure an efficient approach to performance.
- Lead the Strength and Conditioning strategic planning across the Women’s high performance squad, men’s and women’s Academy and youth talent pathways for the boys and girls game.
- Deliver direct support to players whilst at home, on camps and during overseas tours.
- Work closely with Lead S and C, Head of Physiotherapy and Science and medicine disciplines to deliver a high quality, interdisciplinary approach to improve performance.
- Work closely with all national coaches to deliver integrated support programmes.
- Deliver programming as required to support injury risk management and deliver exercise-based rehabilitation and return to performance programmes in collaboration with the Head of Physiotherapy.
- Attend and contribute to strategic planning meetings, S and M discipline meetings and individual player case conference meeting.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree (or equivalent) in sport science or related subject, specialising in physical preparation of athletes.
- UKSCA accreditation or internationally recognised equivalent, or ability to obtain within six months.
- Minimum of 3 years full time or part time equivalent experience working within high performance sport.
- Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team in the delivery of strength and conditioning services to performance teams.
- A track record of success in developing physical qualities of teams and athletes within performance sport.
- Excellent physiological and anatomical knowledge.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong programming and coaching skills.
- Strong IT skills, including use of Microsoft excel.
- Current basic life support training and first aid qualifications.
- Experience of working in S&C in cricket.
- Experience of travelling with teams on overseas tours or major competitions.
- Experience of working in female sporting environments.
- Higher degree specialising in the physical preparation of performance athletes.
- ISAK level 1 accreditation.
- Experience of using sport science equipment including heart rate systems and GPS systems.
- Experience of using athlete management systems.
The selection panel reserves the right to consider Desirable Criteria during the short-listing process should candidates remain on an equal footing using simply Essential Criteria. Please note due to the expected volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- National Lead Strength & Conditioning Coach/Performance Services Manager
- Head of Physiotherapy & Medical Services
- Performance Director
- National Men’s and Women’s head coach
- Support staff: Team Operations Managers; Assistant Coach/Fast Bowling Lead; Performance Analysts; Physiotherapists
- Inter-Provincial Head Coaches
- National Academy and Performance Manager
- Talent Pathway Manager and Coach
- Performance Operations Executive
- The package will include a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and include a laptop and mobile phone.
- The closing date for applications will be close of business 31st October 2019
- Covering letter and full CVs should be sent by email to email@example.com
- For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Brendan Connor on +44 (0)7775337813 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preliminary interviews will be held from Tuesday 12th November.
Unit 22-23 Grattan Business Park
Republic of IRELAND