Job Title: Community Sports Development Officer – REF: Fingal 0002
1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Location: Fingal Administrative Area
The Community Sports Development Officer (CSDO) will be employed by Fingal Community Recreation Services CLG and will be based in the administrative area of Fingal.
This role is funded by Sport Ireland and is offered on a fixed term contract for 12 months.
This position will require flexibility around working hours with regards to evenings and weekends.
Job Purpose Summary
The aim of the Community Sports Development Officer is to strengthen and enhance participation in sport throughout Fingal, to further develop locally led plans and more long term sustainable physical activity programmes under the National Physical Activity Plan.
(S)he will work closely other Sports Development Officers, State Agencies and National Governing Bodies of Sport, Schools, Sports Clubs and Agencies to,
1. Support and enhance the development of exciting and dynamic opportunities to increase participation for people who are sedentary
2. Capacity build smaller National Governing Bodies (NGBs) that do not currently have development officers and other stakeholders to deliver services to increase participation
3. Develop sustainable local leadership for sport within communities of Fingal.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Community Sports Development Officer (CSDO) will foster and encourage a culture of Active Participation, supporting opportunities for and access to sport and physical activity in local communities. The CSDO will address barriers to participation and encourage access and increase opportunities for participation by those who experience disadvantage for any reason.
The CSDO will cover work in the following areas:
• Support and enhance existing sports projects and programmes
• Consult and work with local communities to identify the need and demand for new activities
• Provide guidance and support to develop sustainable community sports clubs
• Establish a sports forum or other means that will enable clubs to work together
• Tackle local barriers to participation through targeted programmes and initiatives
• Support and maintain strong links between schools and community sports clubs
• Coordinate and facilitate training and development opportunities
• Development and roll out of a number of programmes, with a focus on Community sports Development
• Undertake any other relevant and related duties that may be required by Fingal Sports Office
• Develop action plans in line with the needs of the selected community / communities
• Build strong partnerships with those involved in the delivery of sport throughout Fingal
• Implement a monitoring and evaluation framework for all projects
• Completing reports as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• 2 – 3 years experience of working in a sports development environment is essential
• Experience of working with sports clubs, community groups, and young people in a community setting
• Experience in planning, co-ordinating and delivering sustainable sporting & recreational programmes
• Demonstrable ability to motivate and tackle local barriers to participation through targeted programmes and initiatives
• A successful track record in building and nurturing stakeholders, key relationships and partnerships with all sectors of the community;
• Relevant qualification in Sports Development, Leisure Management, Health & Fitness & Leisure Studies or equivalent.
• SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
• Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills;
• Excellent organisational skills
• A good understanding of project-based programme delivery with measureable outcomes
• A good understanding of project evaluation
• Be motivated by and committed to sports development and increasing opportunities for participation, in particular among hard to reach groups in local communities
• Be self-motivated and able to work independently to meet or exceed goals
• Commitment to the highest standards and outcomes
• Flexible approach to duties and work
• Fully proficient in Microsoft packages.
• A full clean driving license and use of personal transport for work is required.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
This position will require flexibility around working hours with regards evenings and weekends.
Please send a cover letter and a detailed CV, referencing Fingal 0002, outlining your experience skills and suitability for the position to: email@example.com
For queries relating to the role please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4pm Friday 21st June 2019
Fingal Community Recreation Services CLG is an Equal Opportunities Employer