Canoeing Ireland are recruiting for a Youth & Club Development Officer to develop youth participation in canoeing and increase both quantity and quality of Canoe Clubs in Ireland.
About Canoeing Ireland
Canoeing Ireland (CI) is responsible for promoting, encouraging and advancing the sport of Canoeing at all levels throughout Ireland. This is done through providing membership benefits such as insurance, running courses, official events/races, encouraging and developing Instructors, coaches and promoting the sport to all levels of ability – from the beginner to our Olympians.
The CI offices are located in the Irish Sports HQ, National Sports Campus, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. Free parking is available. Standard office hours are Monday to Friday 9am – 5.30pm. However, some out of hours work will be required. As such, flexibility in working hours including weekends will be required from and will be extended to the suitable applicant.
The position will involve:
- Managing the Canoeing Ireland Training Centre with a Youth Participation Focus.
- Managing delivery of the Instructor Training Initiative with a club development focus.
- Delivering Junior Training Programmes across a broad range of disciplines.
- Developing a schools, scout and youth competition calendar across a variety of disciplines.
- Managing and delivering adult training programmes to kick start club growth and development.
- Assist in the delivery of Instructor Training Courses when necessary.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Review and develop new Canoeing Ireland Club support materials, including Club Kick Start Pack, Sample Constitution and Sample SOP’s & Risk Assessments.
- Develop club guidelines for best practice with young participants.
- Develop junior paddling guidelines and training programmes for clubs.
- Use the Canoeing Ireland training centre as a venue to pilot youth development programmes before assisting other clubs and providers to roll out the programmes nationally.
- Establish a Canoeing Ireland Youth Kayaking Academy initially at the Canoeing Ireland Training Centre, before expanding to other towns and cities nationally through the network of clubs and providers.
- Develop a strong working relationship with Scouting Ireland to help increase and improve participation in Canoeing in Scout troops nationally.
- Support youth and club participation nationally using the Canoeing Ireland equipment stores.
- Manage and maintain the Canoeing Ireland Training Centre, its activity calendar and asset register with a view to increasing activity hours and range of activity at the centre.
- Work with Canoeing Ireland’s technical committees on the development and implementation of youth development programmes.
- Assist at strategic Canoeing Ireland events including Liffey Descent, Junior Paddlefest, Senior Paddlefest, Initiative days and Club Championships.
- Produce content for the Canoeing Ireland web, print and social media platforms.
The successful candidate’s performance will be assessed on:
- Increases in school participation nationally in Canoeing Ireland certified courses.
- Increases in retention of school based activity through the Canoeing Ireland Kayak Academies.
- Increases in scout participation nationally through the Canoeing Ireland certified courses.
- Increases in youth group participation nationally in Canoeing Ireland certified courses.
- Increase in number of and attendance at youth oriented events and competitions in Ireland.
- Increase in canoeing Ireland junior membership and clubs with junior membership.
- Increases in activity and revenue streams at the Canoeing Ireland Training Centre.
The successful candidate must also demonstrate that they can:
- Generate revenue to support the Youth & Club Development Officer position and associated overheads.
- Produce an annual operation plan, marketing plan and budget.
- Produce monthly reports with reference to budgeted targets.
- Develop and present innovative programmes for development of youth participation nationally.
- Develop and present innovative programmes to improve services to youth members.
- Develop and present innovative solutions to generate additional revenue through the provision of youth participation programmes.
The successful candidate must have:
- At minimum a Level 3 Kayak Instructorship.
- Full clean mini bus driver’s licence.
- Current CI recognised first aid certificate.
- Garda Vetting Clearance from Canoeing Ireland.
- Code of Ethics Certification.
- Coaching Ireland Tutor Qualification.
- Third level education an advantage.
- Experience in Youth Kayaking Programmes.
- Experience in management of an activity centre.
- Two relevant work references.
Interested applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter by email to email@example.com or by post to General Manager, Canoeing Ireland, Irish Sport HQ, National Sports Campus, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.
Applications will close on Friday the 16th January 2015