Athletics Ireland are seeking to recruit a fulltime Coach Education Manager to join the management team within Athletics Ireland. This post will be integral to the delivery of key objectives within our Strategic plan 2021 to 2028 and will include supporting clubs and leading coach education in our sport. The successful applicant will be tasked with implementing Athletics Ireland’s strategy in this area.
The role of the Coach Education Manager will primarily be to deliver a coach education programme across Athletics Ireland to be best in class. This will involve evaluation and improvement of the current programme while also expanding / developing programmes where necessary. The Coach Education Manager will lead, motivate and support a panel of coach developers to deliver high quality and innovative courses to meet the evolving needs of our coaching community and promote excellence throughout our sport.
The Coach Education Manager will provide coaching courses for all levels of coaches, from beginner through to senior club coaching and to international level. The initial emphasis will focus on the High-Performance sector. This will require collaboration with the High-Performance Director and Director of Development to enhance the Athletics coaching programmes and course materials, and to ensure consistency and synchronicity in both athlete and coach development pathways. The initial focus will be on the aspiring performance coaches and those working with our emerging athletes.
The Coach Education Manager will be responsible for the coordination and progression of the Athletics Ireland level 2 and level 3 courses in conjunction with Coaching Ireland.
The Coach Education Manager will report to the Chief Executive Officer in the delivery of the education strategy as agreed by the Board of Athletics Ireland and Coaching Ireland.
The Coach Education Manager will be responsible for setting and delivering a strategy to ensure that there is a sufficient number of qualified and active coaches within Athletics Ireland, appropriate to meet the needs of athletics participation at different levels, and ensure the quality, consistency and recognition of coaches across Athletics Ireland club network.
The Coach Education Manager will develop, promote and supervise a coach mentoring programme for coaches as part of a coach retention initiative.
Key responsibilities will include:
● Implement and lead an Athletics Ireland Coach Education Programme that provides clear pathways for coaches at grassroots levels
● Facilitate the growth and retention of coaches at all levels
● Deliver an Athletics Ireland coach development framework which includes
– A coaching pathway
– A coach accreditation process recognised by Athletics Ireland
– Standardised assessment and reporting where required
– The ability to monitor and report on Athletics Ireland coaching outcomes and statistics
– Development of E-learning courses
● Develop and maintain content for framework and develop material for Coach Developers (Coach Tutors) and course facilitators at each level of the coaching pathway
● Assist the panel of Coach Developers to ensure best practice administration and delivery of coaching courses
● Maintain and grow the Athletics Ireland registered coaching base
● Devise and deliver an annual programme of workshops and seminars covering relevant areas of coaching at all levels for course facilitators and coaches
● Liaise with the High-Performance team to identify future High-Performance coaches
● Further develop and oversee high-performance coach mentoring initiatives
● Assist the High-Performance team in organising coach professional development opportunities and workshops
● Assist in managing all budgetary aspects of the role in accordance with Athletics Ireland operations and procedures
● Develop and support the day to day development of Athletics Ireland’s CPD platform
● Liaise with key stakeholders in the development of Athletics Ireland’s online CPD courses
● Lead the delivery of innovative e-learning practice across the organisation
● Prepare an annual budget, in conjunction with Director of Finance and the CEO, and secure key stakeholder approval.
● Ensure that activity stays within its approved budget.
Requirements for the role
● Proven experience of establishing and delivering a coaching strategy
● Understanding of Sport Ireland Coaching’s coach development programme for Ireland and how this is integrated
● Ability to set clear strategy to meet business needs, whilst fully understanding the importance of stakeholder buyin
and support to influence change
● Experience in working within a High-Performance Athletics system
● Demonstrate the ability to innovate to maximise opportunities
● Ability to influence others, with excellent team building, collaboration and partnering skills
● Accredited Athletics Ireland coaching qualification to level 3 standard
● Experience of aligning coach education courses with the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) would be
● A degree in sports science or similar ideally to postgraduate level
● Must be legally entitled to work in Ireland
● Full clean driving licence and own transport
The ideal candidate will have a coaching background in Athletics. Experience in education or sports development
would be advantageous but not essential.
Remuneration and role location
Remuneration will be dependent on experience and skill relevant to this job description.
The post is fulltime at 37.5 hours per week (9-5.30pm) with a performance review after six months.
The post is Dublin based with travel as appropriate.
How to apply for this post.
Selection shall be by means of a competition based on an interview conducted by Athletics Ireland. Applications must
be sent by email with the subject line of: [ATTN: Coach Education Manager].
When applying by email, please provide a letter of introduction detailing your skills and experience relevant to the
role and your Curriculum Vitae outlining your skills and work experience not later than 5pm on Friday February 28th
to the Athletics Ireland Human Resources Manager at email@example.com