Technical development refers to the development of technical aspects of the game including coaching, refereeing, umpiring, improving the standard of play, technical analysis, playing rules, competition formats for meaningful and age appropriate games programmes from grassroots to intercounty levels.
Participation refers to the instigation and overseeing of activity and special projects for children, young people and adults across all levels within the Camogie Association.
The post holder is expected to work strategically, ensuring that the National Development Plan, Our sport, Our Future 2016-2019 and successor plans have a tangible legacy of a stronger and expanded sport.
Purpose of the post
The Technical Development and Participation Manger will be expected to prepare for and build the game of the future.
The Technical Development and Participation Manager is a member of the Senior Management Team of the Camogie Association. The post supports and manages the implementation of activities; supports volunteers and manages staff and budgets towards the achievement of identified targets including targets on increased participation in Camogie as identified in the National Development Plan 2016-2019 and successor plans.
The postholder is responsible for managing identified staff and overseeing their collective efforts to deliver programmes and/or to facilitate Camogie Units in doing the same. Currently the national Co-ordinators of coach education and development, referee education and development, player retention, youth development and a designated 3-year project on participation in Kildare/Meath report to the Technical Development and Participation Manager.
The postholder will be responsible for ensuring that initiatives to strengthen participation in Camogie, and its technical development, compliment and support the work of others including club, county boards, provincial councils, education councils and schools, international units, sports partnerships, relevant community groups and statutory bodies.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and design the ongoing development and review of technical development, growth and participation strategies of the Camogie Association
- Build and support the capacity of the Association’s Units and of volunteers at all levels to support the roll out of national technical and participation strategies
- Oversee and review the development and dissemination of technical resources and programmes
- Oversee and support the recruitment, training and education of coaches, referees and umpires
- Support Units to observe their obligations to use accredited coaches and referees
- Ensure the delivery of innovative strategies, programmes and special projects to drive growth, participation and player retention across the range of ages and playing levels within the sport
- Build and support capacity within the Association’s Units and amongst volunteers to provide age appropriate and meaningful games’ programmes for players on an annual/seasonal basis
- Stay informed of and advise the Association of technical development and participation research and development in sport including innovations and developments relevant to the female athlete
- Strengthen the Association’s capacity and knowledge of technical analysis of Camogie and advise on and initiate work to promote greater use of this at all levels
- Be responsible for strategy and policy development for technical and participation programmes and initiatives.
- Participate as a key manager in the overall financial planning of the Association including the priorities of technical development and participation.
- Develop a shared sense of commitment and participation amongst staff in the overall development of the Association
- Lead and/or participate in project based working across the Association staff team
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders and represent the Camogie Association as appropriate
- Liaise and advise Ard Chomhairle and its Sub Committees on technical development and participation strategies
- Develop and promote good interpersonal relationships with other sporting organisations in the promotion of the game of Camogie
- Undertake any other duties as required, commensurate with the role, and as directed by the Ard Stiúrthóir
To be considered for this role, applicants must meet the essential criteria below:
Professional Qualifications &Experience
- A third level degree relevant to sports science, education or other relevant area
- Advanced knowledge of and experience of the fundamental requirements associated with the technical development of sport from grassroots to elite/intercounty levels
- Advanced knowledge and experience of building participation and capacity in sport
- Detailed knowledge of player, coach and referee development pathways in sport
- Ability to analyse the conditions, opportunities and challenges relevant to implementing technical development of and participation in sport
- Ability to define and develop a technical strategy
- An ability to explain technical planning to non-technical audiences
Senior Management Competencies
- Demonstrable experience of leading, motivating and guiding staff, through continuous development, towards strategic outcomes and objectives
- Demonstrable experience of building highly collaborative and effective relationships and influencing others to implement change
- Demonstrable experience of working with volunteers
- An ability to think and plan strategically and effectively link functional planning across other functional departments/staff/networks
- Proven organisational skill in implementing multiple programmes simultaneously
- Proven ability to drive for and achieve results
- Experience of managing budgets and associated cost management and reporting
- Excellent drafting and report writing skills
- Access to transport as travel is a necessary requirement of the post.
The following will be advantageous to applicants:
- Knowledge of Camogie/hurling coach education processes and materials
- Knowledge of Camogie/hurling referee education processes
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other IT related packages
- Knowledge and/or experience of adult learning methodologies
- Experience of developing tutor and/or coach and/or referee education materials
- Previous playing experience of Camogie/hurling
Applicants must complete the official application form which you can get here http://www.camogie.ie/news.asp?id=5611 and return no later than noon on Tuesday December 5th 2017 to email@example.com or by post to:
Postal applications should mark Confidential on the envelope.
Interviews are scheduled for Tuesday December 19th 2017 in Croke Park.