Regional Development Officer Munster – Clubs
Strengthen and support Special Olympics Clubs in the Munster Region, ensuring that development is in line with the prevailing Special Olympics Ireland Strategy. The role will involve evening and weekend work.
Skills & Experience
A relevant sports qualification e.g. physical education, sports science, sport/leisure management is essential or significant experience in the field of Club Development is essential. A minimum of one year’s experience in a management role in a multi-faceted project is desirable. Good interpersonal, strong communication and planning skills to achieve long term objectives is required.
A thorough knowledge of all aspects of Microsoft Office is essential.
A current full clean driving license and own car or access to a car that enables them to meet the requirements of the post in full is required. In the case of an applicant who declares that they have a disability which debars then from driving, access to a form of transport which will permit them to meet the requirements of the post in full is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and implement a structured and cohesive plan for the development and operation of affiliated clubs within the Region.
- Drive a culture of strong governance and management amongst Club Management Teams and provide and/or signpost training opportunities to clubs on good governance and management practices.
- Increase the awareness and uptake of the Club Recognition Award Programme.
- Direct, drive and support clubs towards the completion of the Club Recognition Award.
- Plan and oversee relevant and timely training for Club Management Teams and club volunteers.
- Provide support to new and existing clubs through engagement, guidance and training.
- Establish and support the set-up of new clubs where a need is identified and agreed.
- Oversee and manage the registration of athletes and clubs including the affiliation process.
- Ensure all data in relation to affiliated clubs is accurately maintained, updated and fit for purpose.
- Monitor, track & assist in the resolution of club matters or needs that arise in order to support clubs and to assist in improving standards.
- Promote and establish Young Athletes (a programme of play & sport activity for children with intellectual disabilities from 4-7 years) as an integral element of the regional programme.
- Manage the regional growth and delivery of the Young Athletes Programme.
- Drive the development and implementation of the Health and Wellbeing Programme in clubs to complement their sports training and enhance the athletes’ knowledge and skills.
- Be responsible for the promotion and development of the Athlete Leadership Programme to expand athlete opportunities for active involvement in relevant activities within the club and region.
- Strengthen and grow the number of clubs offering Athlete Leadership opportunities and the numbers of athletes engaged in the programme through regional initiatives such as an Athlete Leadership Forum.
- Assist and support the re-vetting of club volunteers in conjunction with the Volunteer Manager in Special Olympics Ireland.
- Recruit, train and assign key support volunteers to play an active role in the planning, development and roll out of the key projects associated with the role.
- Liaise and work with staff, committees and volunteers in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Club Programmes.
- Attend and participate in regional meetings as necessary.
- Develop and adhere to budget in conjunction with the Regional Director
- Undertake any other assignments as may reasonably be requested by the Regional Director from time to time.
It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of the changing environment within Special Olympics Ireland.
Location: Cleve Business Park, Monahan Road, Ballintemple, Cork
Salary: €28,000 to €32,000 DOE
Terms: Permanent / Full time
Please send in your CV along with the answers to the questions below together with a brief cover note SO.HR@specialolympics.ie
Are you committed to taking this vacancy for more than one year, and are you currently living in Ireland?
Do you have a minimum of one year’s experience ina multi-faceted sports role?
Do you have a full, clean driving license?
Closing date for all applications – 5pm on Thursday 01 March 2018