Hockey Ireland (in partnership with NUIG and Connacht Hockey) are seeking to employ a Regional Development Officer for Connacht. Starting in October 2021, this person will help to grow hockey, support and develop existing/new resources in the Connacht region, an area that Hockey Ireland see as having huge potential for growth.
Led by Hockey Ireland and NUIG, in conjunction with Connacht Hockey, the successful applicant will be responsible for the delivery of and will have input into the planning for Hockey Ireland’s National Development Plan. Working to achieve these targets, the Regional Development Officer (Connacht) is responsible for administering and delivering programmes to promote sustainable participation opportunities within clubs, schools and NUIG in Connacht.
For more information see Job Description below:
To apply please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for application is 1st September 2021.
JOB TITLE: Regional Development Officer, Connacht, in partnership with NUIG.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Hockey Ireland, National Development Manager
LOCATION: NUIG Sports Offices
SALARY: 15000 per annum
HOURS: 22.5 hours per week
CONTRACT: An initial 9-month contract with the view to extend
Growing hockey in Connacht
- Promoting Connacht hockey through community and school engagement
- Management and administration of development programmes
- Working in new areas to run cluster Primary School / Secondary School programmes with the aim of setting up new clubs around Connacht
- Promoting and developing the indoor format of the game
- Working in partnership with LSP/ local councils
- Promoting Hockey Skills Challenge and branch competition structures
- Partnering and growing participation in NUIG
- Promoting NUIG through community and school engagement
- Growing indoor hockey in NUIG, specifically around growing men’s hockey and encouraging social participation in hockey
Supporting existing clubs
- Delivering workshops and holding meetings to support, educate and empower clubs to implement change and become more sustainable
Coach umpire and volunteer development
- Deliver Young Hockey Leaders Award and Young Umpire Program
- Creating coach and volunteer development opportunities
- Working in conjunction with the Connacht Branch to promote and develop umpiring
- While it is unlikely the DO will be able to deliver accredited coaching/umpiring courses, their role will be to identify needs for courses within clubs and liaising with HI on behalf of Connacht Hockey
- Working to specific targets in relation to delivery of Hockey Ireland participation and development programmes as agreed with NDM.
- Work closely with Connacht Hockey and NUIG and develop strong relationships with schools and clubs in the region
- Assist with the development of a five-year plan for Connacht hockey
- Support the work of NDM in development of Branch structures and planning
- Work closely with other Hockey Ireland, Connacht Hockey and NUIG staff and volunteers
- Attend appropriate meetings as directed by National Development Manager, Connacht Hockey Branch and NUIG Director of Sport
- Assist in applying for funding and delivering on funding requirements
- Work in partnership with other sporting bodies
- Any other duties as may be allocated from time to time in accordance with the general nature of the post
- Access to private transport is required as successful candidate will need to travel throughout the Connacht region. This role requires flexibility with regards to working hours.
It should be noted that the role of the development officer is not to work at the performance level of the sport (with interprovincials teams for example, or with current NUI teams) and the main focus is to build participation and systems to support sustainable growth, including strengthening existing structures.