Athletics Ireland seek a Marketing and Communications Manager (full-time permanent role) reporting to the Chief Executive Officer. Athletics Ireland is the National Governing Body for Athletics in Ireland. The primary objective of Athletics Ireland is to promote and develop the sport at every level from recreational running and schools competitions through to supporting Ireland’s elite athletes in international competition. We are administered by a Board of elected volunteer members who work in tandem with our full-time staff based in Dublin and the regions. Athletics Ireland retains a strong volunteer ethos and the thousands of administrators, officials and coaches who give freely of their time play a vital role in our organization. We have 344 affiliated clubs with a combined membership of over 60,000.
Job Title: Marketing & Communications Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Job Purpose: To lead marketing and communications management and oversee day-to-day operations in Marketing, Branding, Communications, Sponsorship, Website Management and Event Promotion, with a focus of developing the Marketing & Communications plan for the Athletic Association of Ireland.
Annual Leave: 20 days leave plus pro rata public holidays.
Salary: Up to €40,000 commensurate with experience.
Based at: Athletics Ireland, 19 Northwood Court, Santry, Dublin 9 and any other place nationwide that the organisation requires you to work.
Working week: 35 hours per week (5 days) with occasional evenings and weekends at national championships and events.
The Marketing and Communications manager will be responsible for developing and delivering the communications strategy and marketing plan to promote the organisation within the athletics community and beyond. The successful candidate will be responsible for enhancing our relationship with our sponsors and all branding and promotion of our athletic national championship and other events. A key aspect of this role will be attracting sponsorship and increasing commercial interest to increase revenue for Athletics Ireland to reinvest in the development of the sport. This is a great opportunity to utilise your sports marketing and communications expertise with a team that are passionate about what they do for our stakeholders.
The responsibilities of the Marketing & Communications manager are:
- Develop and execute marketing strategies and plans.
- Develop strategic Marketing Plans for all levels and programmes from grass roots and participation to high performance.
- Plan and maintain the marketing budget for Athletics Ireland.
- Ensure that Athletics Ireland National Championships and events are branded appropriately and promoted successfully.
- Ensure the implementation and development of the agreed corporate identity and branding across the organisation.
- Lead research projects to develop relevant and usable consumer and customer insight.
- Media and Communications
- Implement a Communications Strategy targeting clubs, athletes, officials, volunteers and individuals interested in athletics.
- Create and deliver integrated PR strategies across all media platforms, ensuring all events are properly promoted.
- Build up working relationships with key journalists and relevant media contacts.
- Manage key media service contracts and review and evaluate key service providers e.g. PR, advertising, design and print.
- Maintain and update the website and ensure the effective use of Facebook, Twitter and other social media throughout the organization.
- Ensure effective monitoring of media, website and social media.
- Ensure all staff, Athletics Ireland athletes and individuals representing the organisation are aware of and adhere to the Social Media Policy.
- Train relevant staff and athletes in handling media queries and interviews.
- Provide PR and social media support for programmes such as Fit4life, Little Athletics and events such as National Athletics Awards, Recreational Races and Summer Camps.
- Manage the co-ordination of media invitation, athlete attendance and scheduling for press conferences for national and international championships.
- Deal with regular media queries, including requests for athlete interviews, responding in a timely manner.
- Provide a monthly report to sponsors on media coverage received.
- Social Media: Keep Athletics Ireland social media channels up-to-date with continuous new, appropriate, relevant and engaging content including development of planned content calendar and relevant reporting. Identify and develop new social media opportunities.
- Live Streaming: Organise, promote, oversee and report on Live Streaming activities.
- Media Administration: Maintain an up to date media contact list. Maintain comprehensive and accurate athlete profiles. Manage allocation of media accreditation for major championships.
- Briefing Agencies: Providing comprehensive briefs to photography and video agencies.
- Website: Work with a content management system to regularly update and edit website.
- Promotional activity: Placement and development of branding of events for sponsor and Athletics Ireland. Organisation of props for photo-call etc.
- Commercial Responsibilities
- Participate in the Athletics Ireland Commercial Plan to attract new sources of income for events and activities.
- Review Athletics Ireland existing revenue streams and seek ways to increase income and attract new sponsorship opportunities.
- Communicate with contracted parties so that all understand the terms and conditions of a contract.
- Assist in the delivery of appropriate elements of the Athletics Ireland Strategic Plan 2017-2020.
- Provide an annual Marketing report for the AGM /Congress of Athletics Ireland.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity you will be required to work and with consultation and can be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
Candidate requirements for consideration for interview.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Third level relevant Degree.
• Ideally be a fan of athletics and have a minimum 2 years marketing work experience.
• Excellent copy writing skills and overall good communicator.
• Good interpersonal skills with an ability to work alongside key stakeholders.
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and multi-task.
- Excellent working knowledge and understanding of IT and all social media apps and websites.
· Organised,with strong time-management skills and ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload.
· Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team.
· Capable of reporting and tracking progress of key areas of responsibility.
· Be flexible and adaptable in an ever changing communications environment.
• Be willing to work unsocial hours, weekends and some evenings on an on-going basis.
• Have own transport and a full clean Irish driving licence.
How to Apply
Applications should be emailed to the Athletics Ireland HR Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of: [ATTN: Marketing Manager]
Please provide the following when submitting your application:
- Letter of introduction detailing skills and experience relevant to the selection criteria.
- Curriculum Vitae outlining your skills and work experience.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 5pm on Friday June 22nd 2018