The CARA National Adapted Physical Activity Centre through the support of the Dormant Accounts Fund and the Irish Sports Council is looking for a full time dynamic Inclusive Fitness Coordinator to coordinate the implementation of Universal Fitness Inclusion Training (UFIT) throughout Ireland and enhance opportunities for people with disabilities to be active members in their local leisure centres and fitness clubs.
The CARA National Adapted Physical Activity Centre is committed to leading, coordinating and supporting developments within physical activity, physical education, fitness and sport for people with disabilities. Over the last eight years the CARA Centre has been delivering Xcessible Leisure Centre Training to leisure and fitness professionals throughout the country with the aim to build capacity of fitness professionals to effectively include people with disabilities within leisure/fitness opportunities. Last year, the CARA centre partnered with the Institute of Technology Tralee in developing Universal Fitness Inclusion Training (UFIT). This vocational training aims to prepare fitness professionals to increase their competence and knowledge specific to engaging people with disabilities within an inclusive fitness environment. The UFIT Project is developed under the UNESCO Chair at IT Tralee in conjunction with a number of European partners. The Universal Fitness Inclusion Training will be launched in October 2015 and the CARA Centre is the designated lead agency in Ireland responsible for implementing the training.
Manage and coordinate Universal Fitness Inclusion Training (UFIT) throughout Ireland with specific focus on managers and frontline instructors with the aim of increasing opportunities for people with disabilities in the leisure and fitness sector.
- Applicants are required to have a minimum of an honours degree in either Adapted Physical Activity, Rehabilitation, Physical Education, Sport, Fitness, Recreation, Health or appropriate discipline related area with a focus on the inclusion of people with disabilities
- High level of sport/physical activity/fitness development experience and experience of working with people with disabilities in the fitness/leisure environments
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary partners on a local, national and international platform
- Ability to work as part of a dynamic team and on their own initiative, with a flexible approach to work possessing strong organisational and IT skills
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to on-going personal and professional development.
- A current full clean driving licence and own car or access to a car so that the post requirements can be accomplished. This role may also involve evening and weekend work.
· Drive and develop the strategic objectives of the CARA Centre specific to enhancing opportunities for people with disabilities to participate increase opportunities for people with disabilities in the leisure and fitness sector throughout Ireland
· To transform current practice with regards to the inclusion of people with disabilities in leisure/fitness activities
· Develop an in-depth understanding of the local provision of leisure/fitness opportunities for people with disabilities to enable collaboration, partnerships, shared knowledge and synergies across various partners within the sector
· Advocate for increased participation opportunities for people with disabilities within the leisure/fitness sector through partnerships with local/regional and national forums and organisations
· Provide leadership, support and advice on key aspects of inclusion within the leisure/fitness sector
· Encourage and support good practice within leisure/fitness providers throughout Ireland supporting leisure/fitness providers to adopt the Universal Management Framework aimed at enhancing their inclusive practices
· Encourage and support effective relationships between leisure/fitness providers and disability services providers to assist in increasing participation and awareness of opportunities at community level
· Develop an effective structure to engage people with disabilities within leisure/fitness opportunities within their local community
· Manage the implementation of the Universal Fitness Inclusion Training via tutor recruitment training and support, development of a UFIT promotional plan, coordination of leisure centre/fitness provider audits and continuous monitoring and evaluation of UFIT delivery
· Management of the project budget including the submission of regular management reports and updates, including updates provided to the UFIT partners through the UNESCO Chair at IT Tralee
Contribution to the work of the CARA Centre
· Raise awareness and understanding of the CARA Strategy across local and community networks
· Support and promote all Training and Education developments specific to the National Inclusive Training and Education Framework
· Assist in the pursuit of funding associated with enhancing all Training and Education projects with specific focus on funding relevant to training and education linked with enhancing inclusive practices within the fitness/leisure sector
· Assist in other areas of CARA programmes when required including support of other CARA projects such as CampAbilities Ireland, Xcessible Inclusive Youth Sport and the CARA National Inclusion Awards
All applicants must complete the relevant application form which can be located at www.caraapacentre.ie
Informal enquiries ONLY may be addressed to: Ms Niamh Daffy (CARA Director)
Closing date for applications is 12.00 noon on Friday 24th July 2015
Provisional Interview Dates 6th and 7th of August 2015
Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.