HEAD COACH – IRELAND MEN’S HOCKEY TEAM
Hockey Ireland is seeking to appoint a senior men’s full-time head coach to lead the Irish Men’s Hockey National Team towards achieving its strategic objectives, namely to compete for medals at World and Olympic level tournaments.
About Hockey Ireland
Hockey Ireland is the National Governing Body for the sport of field hockey in Ireland. Governing the 32 counties of Ireland, the Association is responsible for the management and overall development of all areas of the sport.
- Reporting to the Performance Director, the Head Coach will be responsible for providing world-class leadership and coaching to the national team
- The Head Coach is required to work closely with key performance staff and will be specifically responsible for the assistant and specialist hockey coaches
- Coach the senior national men’s team using modern coaching techniques, tactics and trends
- Provide regular written reports to the Performance Director following all international events, while also providing programme reports as required
- Monitor and evaluate senior player performance for team selection using relevant data
- Utilise coaches (hockey specific and other, e.g. strength and conditioning) to assist with development of players
- Alongside the Performance Director, develop and manage the programme and budget of the senior squad
- Communicate effectively with staff, players and relevant stakeholders
- Develop positive and constructive relationships within Irish Hockey (club coaches, administrators and dignitaries)
- Provide leadership, support and technical direction to Head Coaches of other Irish National Junior Age Grade Male Hockey Squads
- When required deliver coach education workshops and assist in mentoring and development of ‘home grown coaches’
- Be a key participant in the submission of government funding agency applications
- Utilise the Hockey Ireland Long Term Player Development programme to maximise the potential of future international athletes
- Plan and implement a realistic programme to maximise use of resources and senior player availability
- Be a main contributor in the senior leadership team, contributing to long-term development of the wider performance programme, including but not limited to high performance
- Drive a positive high performance culture for players based both in Ireland and overseas
- Commitment to on-going personal development for the benefit of self and the programme
- Conduct other duties as requested by Performance Director or Chief Executive Officer
The required candidate
The successful candidate will be an experienced, driven, detail-focused and disciplined self-starter who is committed to bringing team success to the national team and developing the best of Ireland’s elite talent.
Experience and credentials:
The below experiences and credentials are not intended to be inclusive or exhaustive and may be amended over time due to the changing needs of the organisation.
- Proven record of success in international hockey
- Experience of world-class tournaments at the highest level (World Cup and Olympic level competition) in a coaching capacity
- Experience in planning, organising and implementing a comprehensive international coaching programme
- Ability to apply the principles of coaching, sport science, medicine and technology within a high performance programme
- Efficient and organised, with exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Level 3 and/or FIH coaching qualifications or equivalent (or working towards them)
- Proven methodologies in the development of elite talent and performance
- Understanding of sports science principles in modern day athlete development
- Exceptional people skills, with an emphasis on the management of player and coach personnel
- A competent knowledge of the latest coaching software systems
- Superior organisational and communication skills
- A full driving licence
- Capacity to travel domestically and overseas for extended periods
The contract role is through the Olympic cycle of 2020, with annual reviews. Shorter-term applications will also be considered.
The process of reporting will be as determined by the Performance Director.
This is a full time position with a remuneration that will be commensurate with experience. It is conditional that the successful applicant must be able to live and work in Ireland.
Candidates wishing to apply for this position should email CV with covering letter to email@example.com
Application deadline is Friday 22nd June 2018 at 5pm