Following on from the successful launch of the Federation of Irish Sport group insurance scheme in December we are happy to report that six new members; Irish American Football Association, Angling Council of Ireland, Australian Rules Football League of Ireland, Deaf Sports Ireland, Horseshoe Pitchers Association of Ireland and Pentathlon Ireland have supported the scheme over the past two months, bringing to 18 the number of NGBs that have supported the scheme so far.
The Federation went to tender last year to put a group insurance scheme in place to ensure that our members would get a reduction and a consistency in premium over time. The customer service element to be provided to our members both in terms of advice on cover and claims handling was also key. We issued a tender to seven brokers all of whom were involved with member organisations, in order to appoint the team that we felt would best meet our dual objective of value for money and quality of service. BHP Insurances were selected to operate the scheme on behalf of the Federation after the extensive tender process given their track record in establishing group schemes and experience in sport.
The scheme so far has delivered savings of on average 20 – 30% to our members. However, in order to ensure the scheme survives and that this reduced pricing is maintained it is really important that the group scheme is supported by the Federation’s members. We run the risk of increased insurance costs for all sports should the scheme not be adequately supported and would ask that all members support the scheme as we believe it is the best option for our members individually and Irish Sport collectively.
Some testimonials from sports who have already joined the scheme are provided below to give an indication of the experience of member bodies who have signed up so far:
- Swim Ireland- ‘Swim Ireland are delighted by the appointment of BHP Insurances who have improved our levels of cover for a reduced annual premium. Their team gave us a thorough understanding of our insurance policies and we would recommend that other NGBs meet with them to see what they can deliver for their sport, clubs and members.’
-Sarah Keane, CEO, Swim Ireland
- Gymnastics Ireland- ‘BHP Insurances took the time to understand Gymnastics Ireland and our activities before providing a proposal. Their expertise in providing solutions to the sport and not for profit sector has resulted in savings with no reduction in cover. I would have no hesitation in recommending BHP to other sporting bodies.’
-Ciaran Gallagher, CEO, Gymnastics Ireland
- Cerebral Palsy Sport Ireland- ‘CPSI were impressed by BHP Insurances professional approach to our insurance needs and even as a smaller NGB they gave us as much time as we needed to ensure we had the right covers in place. BHP helped us introduce comprehensive personal accident insurance for all our members at a competitive rate.’
-Brenda O’Donnell, Director of Sport, Cerebral Palsy Sport Ireland
- Irish Sailing Association- ‘The ISA saved a significant amount on our premium, with no reduction in cover levels, and gained a better understanding of what our insurance actually covered. We also saw the potential for delivering an offering to our members which would increase affinity to the ISA and value to our membership.’
-Harry Hermon, CEO, Irish Sailing Association
Make sure your sport is part of this Federation initiative and see how you can benefit from improved levels of cover and reduced insurance rates by contacting:
- Conn Mc Cluskey, Federation of Irish Sport on 01-6251155, firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Gordon McDonagh/Martina Westphal, BHP Insurances on 01-6202030, email@example.com/