How to develop meaningful Key Performance Indicators for Sports Governing Bodies
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) measure aspects of your organisations performance that are most critical for your sport’s success.
To develop meaningful KPIs you must develop clear objectives and KPIs that support your sport’s strategy.
Once KPIs have been defined, they need to be presented in a way that will allow quick and easy interpretation.
KPIs should have targets and provide evidence that objectives are being met.
The KPI information needs to be acted upon in such a way that it will move your organisation closer to achieving its objectives and ultimately your strategy.
How to develop meaningful KPIs:
- Create objectives for each area of the business e.g. increased participation.
- Describe results – e.g. Increase in numbers playing the sport.
- Identify measures e.g. Coaches – more qualified coaches / develop mini or modified versions of games to encourage all abilities and age groups / improve awareness of the sport through publicity, advertising and role models
- Define thresholds – a performance measure is meaningless unless it can be compared to something. This could be a target based on participation levels in other similar sports or participation levels in similar size countries. Participation levels by ability, age or gender.
- Upload structure/ data – build a score card structure entering objectives and related performance measures. Actual data will then be added on a regular basis.
- Interpret results – this incorporates creating meaningful dashboards and reports and secondly interpreting the results which could include developing charts.
- Take action – any performance measure that shows that an objective is moving in the wrong direction may need to have an action associated with it to remedy the situation e.g. a task, a project, budget change or simply to remove the objective. It’s important at this stage to consider if strategic initiatives should be created.
Contact Deirdre McDermott firstname.lastname@example.org Audit Director OSK or visit www.osk.ie for further information on KPIs for your Sport’s Governing Body and for information on our audit, tax and accounting services.