The Irish American Football Association (IAFA) is seeking to appoint a Commissioner who has a strong interest in sport and is willing to volunteer their time to a sporting organisation. This is a volunteer position and the successful applicant will be appointed to a rolling 1 year contract.
IAFA is the National Governing Body for American football in Ireland and is recognised as such by Sport Ireland and the International Federation of American Football (IFAF). At present IAFA is a volunteer-run organisation and there are over 3,000 active members involved in the sport at various levels. American football is a rapidly growing sport in Ireland and we are expanding our Management team to meet this increased demand.
- Head of the Administration. Ensures Director of Finance and Communications Officer are performing their function. Can appoint sub-committees to assist.
- Chairs the Competitions Working Committee and supplies recommendation to the management board
- Reports to and is answerable to the Management Board
- Attends all board meetings but does not have a vote
- New member clubs apply for membership via the Commissioner (acceptance by vote of membership at AGM)
- Schedules all fixtures and re-schedules if necessary during season
- Deals with applications to change venues in consultation with Director of Officiating
- and Management Board
- Ensures all players are registered to appropriate teams (including 2nds)
- Reports breaches of rules to management board
- If Disciplinary board convened, forwards the results to concerned club/member
- Deals with applications to appeal a D.C. result
- Appoints 2 representatives to appeals, management board appoints the 3rd
- Advises the D.C./A.C. on the rules
- Deals with complaints re: behaviour at a venue can refer to a D.C.
- Director of Officiating can recommend to Commissioner a D.C. for on the field incidents
- Can issue summary penalties upon agreement of all concerned parties
- Experience in demonstrating a combination of people skills and administrative ability in a similar work related field
- Excellent knowledge of IAFA and American Football
- Ability to contribute to and co-ordination of training for others
- Demonstrate integrity and appropriate working relationships with key partners
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to deal with difficult decisions
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Deadline focused
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong administration and record keeping skills
- IT skills including Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Be enthusiastic and use their own initiative when promoting good practice.
- Have an understanding and commitment to equal opportunities and sports equity issues.
If you would like to apply for the role of IAFA Commissionr, please send your CV, outlining your qualifications and experience, along with a cover letter outlining your suitability and the names and contact details (phone and email) of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit all items in PDF format where possible. Applications will only be accepted up to 5pm on the 25th March 2018.