Meeting with Minister for Sport
On June 28th accompanied by Bryan Hughes, Senior Associate, A&L Goodbody our CEO Mary O’Connor met with Minister for Sport Thomas Byrne and department officials regarding proposals for Taxation Reform for the sector under Action 3.7 of National Sport Policy Action plan. The Federation is the lead body on this action as set out in the National Sports Policy, Sports Action Plan 2021-2023. The action states ‘Taxation reform can assist this drive for more funding diversity in Irish sport, not just for high performance sport but also for grassroots sport.’ Examples of how taxation reform could be implemented are:
- Elimination of €250 eligibility threshold for S. 847A TCA relief on donations to sporting capital projects
- Extension of S. 847A TCA relief to include donations for certain current expenditure.
- VAT cost mitigation and potential for reduced rates
- Granting charitable status to NGBs
- Incentivisation of personal exercise opportunities
A more detailed approach to taxation reform will be set out in the Federation Pre-Budget Submission in the coming weeks.