The Federation of Irish Sport made a written submission to Ministers Varadkar & Ring in relation to the treatment of sport in the upcoming budget on December 5th. The Federation made clear its view that sport has a key role to play in improving Irish society.
The specific issues highlighted by the Federation in its submission were:
- Welcoming the inclusion of sport in the Global Economic Forum to be held in 2013
- The need to protect future funding of the Irish Sports Council (“ISC”) and that it is our contention that there should be no further reduction to ISC funding after the anticipated additional 5% cut for 2013
- The protection of current funding opportunities for sport and in particular, there should be no further discussion on the issue of introducing a ban on alcohol sponsorship of sporting events for 3 years
- The need to identify and develop additional revenue streams for sport
- The extension of the current tax relief on donations to sporting bodies from capital projects as it exists at present to “non-capital” projects
- The development of a Vision or Masterplan for Irish Sport