Basketball Ireland’s 2012-2013 Annual Report was published on 21st May.
Some key facts to note in relation to their strategic objectives:
- Participation numbers by girls schools in the National Cup jumped by 33% between 2010 and 2012, from 89 to 119 teams.
- Commercially, sponsorship income for 2012/13 is 63.5% up on the 2010 figure.
- Number of registered coaches increased from 297 to 555 from 2010 to 2013 (+87%)
- Numbers of referees were up from 402 to 608 (+51%) and table officials jumped from 163 to 477 (+193%).
- Entries in the Schools National Cups increased by 22% between 2010 and 2012, from 187 to 228 teams.
- Between 10,000 and 12,000 young children have had their first experience of basketball through the Mini-Basketball in primary schools initiative in the last 12 months.
- The establishment of a business-orientated Board which prioritises governance, compliance and accountability has established great confidence among third parties in dealing with Basketball Ireland.
- Integration- A milestone was passed with the admission of Dublin Inter into the Men’s Super League, the highest level, in 2012/13 season. Dublin Inter are drawn largely from the Lithuanian community and it is hoped that this development will grow a stronger connection to Basketball Ireland.